Saturday, November 21, 2009

5352 Instructional Leadership: Technology Surveys

According to the Technology Applications Inventory, I answered yes to sixteen of the eighteen questions in the Foundations domain. I understand most of the basic computer terminology, and I can use the computer keyboard to create, print, and save files, as well as use scanners and cameras. I am familiar with the copyright rules and I can make citations of copyrighted materials. I need additional information in the difference in analog and digital technology, and also how to conserve memory and retain image quality. In the Information Acquisition domain, I answered yes to seven out of ten questions. My strengths in this area include researching and acquiring information, deciding relevance, and assessing the validity of the information. I need more knowledge about some of the terminology used in this area. I also need to learn how to create audio and video files. In the Solving Problems domain, I answered yes to fourteen out of eighteen questions. My areas of strength in this section include effectively using a word processor to create and edit documents. I can use graphic tools, charts and graphs, and integrate these into the technology products in my subject area. I need additional training on creating and using spreadsheets and databases. The fourth domain in this assessment is Communication. In this portion of the assessment I answered yes to eleven of the twelve questions. My strengths include creating document files such as slideshows, multimedia presentations, and reports. Again, I need additional training in the use of spreadsheets. I also took the SETDA Teacher Survey. It confirmed the information I gained from the previous survey about my strengths and weaknesses in the use of technology. I do well at integrating basic technology in my classes, but incorporating 21st Century skills is an area in which I need additional professional development. Since the definition of literacy is beginning to expand, as an administrator I will need to make sure that teachers are up to date and aware of what it means to incorporate technology into the classroom. It will not be enough to have students research and create documents and presentations, they will need to be able to teach students about information literacy, visual literacy, self-direction, and global awareness. I feel that my ability to incorporate technology into my classroom is adequate, but after taking the two required technology assessments I believe that there are areas in which I need additional training. The assessments appear to be an accurate evaluation of my strengths and weaknesses. As I become an administrator, this information will help me understand the necessary professional development required to help teachers become proficient with the use of technology. I will also be aware of the skills students should acquire in order to be technologically competitive in the 21st century.
SETDA Teacher Survey
Teaching Applications Survey
Retrieved from

No comments:

Post a Comment